Welcome to the Penguin's world! Come in and Discover!

Hello friends! I hope you enjoy looking around my blog. I'm planning to keep it updated with pictures, stories, and news of my latest experiences... but since I'm not having too many extreme adventures lately, I'll keep you informed regarding what I'm learning. Very interesting stuff! At least, I think so. I've realized more and more how huge the world is (I know, cliché, but REALLY!), how much cool stuff there is to discover, and what a waste it would be if I just sat back and lived out my life. This blog is an attempt to keep my eyes open, and I hope it will inspire everyone who reads it to do the same. Each week I'll post a list of seven things I discovered about the world that week, and you can check them out on the right in the "Discover Something New" section, or just scroll down to see the most recent one. I hope you find them as fascinating as I do! As for the Penguins, well, if you don't know what that's about, then I probably don't know you well enough for you to be on my blog! Scat! For everyone else, Quack Quack, and enjoy. :-) -Caleb

Monday, March 23, 2009

What I've Been Up To..


I Like Sumo!! Who knew?!
Enkai! (lots of seafood and alcohol is not a great idea)

Azuma-san!! A retired sailor who has adopted me. :-)

Andrew took me to taiko practice!
Showing great form...
A ceramic artist who lives near my village..
I guess this is as good a time as any to introduce the future Mrs. House!

Boiled boar meat with vegetables (Nakashi-san shot the pig himself!)


You never know what you're going to find on the streets of Osaka!

Chillin' in Nara after the fire festival..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sumo "thing" must date back to the Boston museum....hehehe

CQ

caleb said...

My obsession with Japanese swords does date to Boston (was decidedly more interested in European cutlery), but I still find sumo on TV pretty off-putting. :-) But it was SOO much fun to be there, and especially up close and personal. :-) Throwing down a few yen on a random wrestler in each match gave us something to root for, too. :-)

Michael and Heather van Buskirk said...

Yes, that sumo picture is too great for words. Thanks for sharing. Great pictures!

Heather vB

Anonymous said...

Please tell Azuma-San we are so happy that he has adopted you. It gives us much peace and joy to know our boy is not so lonely and alone in Japan anymore. :>)
Mom